4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

DIY lift anyone help.

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bricky2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:42    Post subject: DIY lift anyone help. Reply with quote

Ive just bought a vitara for some fun this summer.But after going out doing a bit of greenlaning it bottoms out alot!!! Sad
So can anyone give me advice on a cheep way to lift my vitara up about 2"???
Ive seen the rubber rings on ebay for about 80 quid but before i buy them thought id join this site and get some info on this subject? Ive read that you have to do other stuff like mess with gear nob etc??  Help needed!
Regards rick
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

look around te site and youll find a few threads on the subject.

happy hunting Very Happy

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
bricky2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant find an answer yet,can i just put the 2" spacers on top of springs and thats it!!
dartman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically you can but it will severly damage your vit. you will need to buy a front axle lowering bracket to prevent strian on the cv joints (around £100) and you will need to buy strut spacers and camber bolts, these will make it run alot better with the lift. hope this helps Very Happy
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

no such thing as a cheap lift Very Happy
superzuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

four bottle jacks

can be lifted as much as you want Razz
BearMatthews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fit the poly spring spacers all round you will also need to fit 1.5" front strut spacers and 2" rear strut spacers. As was said above, with those mods as i have said, you DO NOT need the front axle drop brackets. IF you lift it further you will need front axle drop brackets... Also as said above about camber bolts... i dont use them...yet(explained bellow)... you could see that my tyres were a tiny bit like this... \--0--/ but for offroad use it wasnt worth correcting it as it was so small. But you can always perform the lift, as above, and then see wether you think you need the camber blots or not? This route will give you between 1.5 and 2" of lift which is very uselful and isnt too radical.

I have been running the orange poly spring spacers, 1.5" front and 2" rear shock spacers, all from Bits4Vits (Dave, the owner of the business is an amazingly helpful guy with masses of knowledge so A*** to him Smile ). I have had that lift for approx. 2 years now with heavy offroading and I have had no problems as yet... TOUCH WOOD!!  Confused

Coincidentally i am lifting mine higher (why i will now need camber bolts) using Grand Vitara Springs and the orange poly spring spacers and 2.25" front strut spacers(home made by cutting the 1.5" ones and re-wending with bigger plates Very Happy) and rear heim spacer(home made) and front axle drop brackets ( home made again, you need the drop brackets when you are going higher than just the spring spacers... So as a general rule, if your going over a 2" lift your gunna need drop brackets...) Also i would advise with any lift, wheel spacers or offset wheels to give you i wider stance so that you are more stable because lifting it does lift your center of mass meaning u could potentially roll easier!! Confused

Although you could just fit grand vitara springs without the orange poly spring spacers, WITH the 1.5" strut spacers and 2" rear strut spacers... the GV springs will cost you about £120 but you can then sell the normal springs to get some money back? This would give you a useable 1.5-2" lift?

In my lift i am performing, i am fitting extended rear shocks so the 2" rear shock spacers are now up for sale... they are these ones shown here... http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=37
There are in useable condition. Reasonable offers, PM me Smile

ALSO, a full set of standard suzuki vitara springs are for sale,good condition... Again, Reasonable offers, PM me Smile

I hope all this helps clear up the confusion..

Cheers,
Christian. 17 from Devon.
BearMatthews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also about the gear knob... you will only need to mess with the gear knob and 2WD/4WD/4WD Lo selector IF you fit a body lift kit.

I do not recommend body lift kits and they only really lift your center of mass making you more 'tippy' and larger tyre sizes can be accomodated for by suspension lift kits... AND with a suspension lift kit you get more ground clearance meaning its WIN WIN! Very Happy

Cheers, Christian.
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

BearMatthews wrote:
Also about the gear knob... you will only need to mess with the gear knob and 2WD/4WD/4WD Lo selector IF you fit a body lift kit.

I do not recommend body lift kits and they only really lift your center of mass making you more 'tippy' and larger tyre sizes can be accomodated for by suspension lift kits... AND with a suspension lift kit you get more ground clearance meaning its WIN WIN! Very Happy

Cheers, Christian.

disagree mate, there is NO WAY my 31s would have fitted without a body lift. yes a body lift doesnt lift the chassis BUT it allows you to fit big rubber which lifts the chassis Very Happy
BearMatthews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i suppose if you are going for very big tyres then yes a body lift is going to help but i think that the clearance for bigger tyres should be attempted to be created with suspension lifting first and then go for a body lift if you feel it neccessary....

Do you actually need tyres that big?! Yes they can give you more ground clearance but your reducing the power(torque) you can put through them... the larger the radius, the less power you will get and lets face it, the vitara doesnt really have much power to waste does it?!
And tyres that are rediculously wide IMO dont help because in soft mud you cant bite into the mud, you just 'skitter' on the top.... getting nowhere....

But yes, do as you wish to your vehicle and DAMN WELL ENJOY IT! Very Happy
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunatly the vitara has wishbones and c/v joints upfront so you are limited to 2" max spring lift or you put too much preassure on the c/vs and front axle. i started off with a standard vit and found myself bottoming out quite often so i then added 1.5" procomp kit and lets be honest whats 1.5" Shocked  so i then added the body lift and 29" tyres which was ok and when i went to 31s i found no noticible lack of power...... then i went MAD

just google video andrew jeffries 4x4 Twisted Evil
zocko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree with wifey here, bigger tyres wont cause significant power loss...

im running 31.5's on the sammy with plenty of power to get in and out of most situations. only time i got it stuck, a unimog followed me in after pulling me out and he got stuck too so i dont honestly think it was down to the tyres somehow...

BearMatthews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much extra lift does fitting say 31's give you?
I still thonk its best not to go too big... Althoughh.. it looks cool! haha
zocko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we-ve got about 10" ground to diff clearance

BearMatthews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, do you have any suspension lifts fitted??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: