2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Free Wheeling Fatboy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:15    Post subject: Free Wheeling Fatboy Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

My first question and it's a dumb one, so bear with me.

I've just had to replace all four tyres on my Vitara Fatboy (ouch). The alloys have locked cosmetic covers over the hubs. I've noticed that the hubs are set to locked, which makes sense as otherwise you'd have to remove the covers with an allen key to lock them before selecting 4WD.

As I'm driving on road, is it better to unlock to save wear? And will this improve the turning lock?

I was just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdow they could share.

Take Care

Jules
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Retro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules, I am not familer with the covers on the Fatboy wheel hubs , but other than that the vits have the same mechanichs, I always leave mine in "FREE" and hop out when going off road and switch them into "LOCK".
Runnning in "FREE" reduces fuel consumption, reduces wear on the front axel and diff assembly, save the tyre wear and makes it a little quiter to drive.
Being an engineer I have made a tool for turning the hubs on and off I will post a pic when I get away from work  Sad
Hope this helps.  Smile
Jules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Retro,

Thats great!

Jules
Retro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said I made a hub tool for doing mine saves all that hassle when its freezing cold and your fingers don't work properly  Shocked
The brass bit on the bottom is filled with epoxy resin then shaped to fit onto the free wheeling hub, so as not to damage it, might  also work well on a Fat boy where you have to reach into the wheel to access the hub. Maybe you could make one or something similar and then cut a small hole in the cosmetic cover just large enough for the tool to go through onto the hub, you can then have the best of both worlds.  Wink

When not in use I drilled a hole in the little tray on the side of the drivers seat so the hub tool is held in place and is always easy to find.

Jules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for that.

I've unlocked them as it seems pointless if I'm not in 4wd.

Someone remind me if it snows!  Embarassed

Jules
kinx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of this tool should make a name for it then ill copy u hehe Cool think my right hub has gone its stiff to turn i gota use mole grips as i found out with this snow i dont always have the grips  Crying or Very sad just got my first welder so might see what i can make
Retro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound's like the hubs could do with coming off cleaning a re-packing with grease, my N/S one is stiffer (oh er missus  Embarassed )  than my O/S even after cleaning out, I found it wasn't actually the bit of the hub that does the work it was behind the bit you turn, the o ring was letting in salt and carp, so replaced it and applied a bit of Vaseline it works a treat.
I would say the "tool" is the most used bit of kit in my Vit never go in 4 wheel drive with out it, made out of some odd and sods I found laying around. Cool
kinx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guna try wen i get home from work tmoz  and as for ((THE TOOL))  i got a lil blue print goin on but i was to much of a wimp to see whats in the shed i can make it from
twofloats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:41    Post subject: hi been told Reply with quote

hi been told if you run with them unlocked  its best to lock them every so often to keep axel oil in good condition have fun
Retro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like good advice to me  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: