4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brakes freezing up?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little sammy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Brakes freezing up????? Reply with quote

Hi,now i know my handbrake got frozen on as the cable would not go down,but the other day after i braked my front left wheel locked up and stayed locked up and made a hell of a sound as i forced it along the road on the ice until i hit the tarmac and it started turning,i left it in the garage all day to thaw out and it is fine tonight.

The caliper is not *beep*, tst an asin one and was fitted brand new a couple of months ago and ive done less than 200 miles on it.t

Any thoughts???
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezing point for DOT4 is someting like -60C so I doubt that's your problem fella. I know brake fluid can absorb moisture but it'd have to absorb a hell of a lot of moisture to make it freeze at the temps we've been having. I'd be looking at something else if I were you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaiRees wrote:
Freezing point for DOT4 is someting like -60C so I doubt that's your problem fella. I know brake fluid can absorb moisture but it'd have to absorb a hell of a lot of moisture to make it freeze at the temps we've been having. I'd be looking at something else if I were you.

mmmmm.well it is -85 in milton keynes you know Wink

Thing is i put it in the garage to let it thaw out for a day or so and now everything is back to working as it should?

Handbrake has freed itself,brakes dont pull to either side .

Could it possibly have been a build up of frozen scud that i picked up on the road,i mean it was left outside for weeks in all the sub zero temperatures and i drove it all over the place ploughing through the snow and sludge like it wasnt there until the locking up happened.

Still it is ok for now!!

cheers
Liam Very Happy
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
Could it possibly have been a build up of frozen scud that i picked up on the road,i mean it was left outside for weeks in all the sub zero temperatures and i drove it all over the place ploughing through the snow and sludge like it wasnt there until the locking up happened.

Actually that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't worry about it mate, just jkeep it in mind until the temperatures come back up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaiRees wrote:
little sammy wrote:

Actually that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't worry about it mate, just jkeep it in mind until the temperatures come back up.

roger that,over and out Wink
Lip_ripper00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone that drives in cold weather: Hahahahahahaha, I have been seeing your weather and it sucks! Razz Florida is 31 deg. Vancouver is a balmy 56 deg. Their already worried about the Olympics Shocked I would check the flex lines in cold weather if they have been chrushed(vicegrip) when doing brakes they will hang up. Don't think too bad of me, just razzing I fly in to Manchester on the 23 and with the whole airport securty thing here and your weather it's going to be a fun time. Wink . Thanks for the read!!
RSi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
DaiRees wrote:

mmmmm.well it is -85 in milton keynes you know Wink

Thing is i put it in the garage to let it thaw out for a day or so and now everything is back to working as it should?

Handbrake has freed itself,brakes dont pull to either side .

Still it is ok for now!!

cheers
Liam Very Happy

The brake caliper area gets very hot even after a short distance so I would agree with others it's highly unlikely it's feezing.  I'd take out the pads and check nothing's come lose, the slides are okay etc. When something get's hot it expands so would jam up.  May sound silly in these temps but brakes get very very hot.
little sammy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip_ripper00 wrote:
From someone that drives in cold weather: Hahahahahahaha, I have been seeing your weather and it sucks! Razz Florida is 31 deg. Vancouver is a balmy 56 deg. Their already worried about the Olympics Shocked I would check the flex lines in cold weather if they have been chrushed(vicegrip) when doing brakes they will hang up. Don't think too bad of me, just razzing I fly in to Manchester on the 23 and with the whole airport securty thing here and your weather it's going to be a fun time. Wink . Thanks for the read!!

better hop[e the brakes on that plane hold up or you`ll be in manchester city centre before you know it with a dozen or so druggies going through your pockets Laughing  Laughing

What you coming to blighty for then,not the sunshine thats for sure!!
Lip_ripper00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
Lip_ripper00 wrote:

better hop[e the brakes on that plane hold up or you`ll be in manchester city centre before you know it with a dozen or so druggies going through your pockets Laughing  Laughing

Man with all the new security, I am not allowed to take much, so it would be a waste of time  Rolling Eyes
 Coming in for brother in laws 60 birthday, I have been back several times. I enjoy my time there
little sammy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip_ripper00 wrote:
little sammy wrote:
Lip_ripper00 wrote:

Man with all the new security, I am not allowed to take much, so it would be a waste of time  Rolling Eyes
 Coming in for brother in laws 60 birthday, I have been back several times. I enjoy my time there

and rightly so,its the best country in the world Laughing  Laughing
Lip_ripper00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
Lip_ripper00 wrote:
little sammy wrote:
Lip_ripper00 wrote:

and rightly so,its the best country in the world Laughing  Laughing

Nice place to visit, but....... Laughing The wife (British) asked me on the first or second trip if I could live their, we added up all my hunting and fishing time and we would see each other 6 weeks out of 52 Wink She never asked again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: