All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Putting a Diesel engine in Samurai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Engine Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citroensuspension

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Putting a Diesel engine in Samurai Reply with quote

I have a 1.3 samurai. The petrol engine is good but a diesel would really be better for off roading especially as its more resistant to water. What diesels could i put in a samurai (i know some adjustment to the mounts will be necessary) i have an old peugeot 1.9 from a 205. and a mercedes 250d 5 cylnder and a 300d 6 cylnder. but would any of these fit. and is there any difference with a clutch and connecting it to the gearbox. if these engines arent suitable is there any diesel engine that fits nicely in
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

me and the wife

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i think the 1.9 from the 205 would fit nicely  Very Happy
citroensuspension

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that engine sit into the existing gear box on the samurai. and would i need a different clutch for the job
zocko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

they built the sj/samurai with a 1.9 peugeot engine so it should fit straight in but youll need to check the gearbox specs cos of the higher torque  Confused
citroensuspension

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thankyou i just need to take apart the 205 then
FreddieS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something ive been considering for some fair time, im looking at fitting the 405 turbo diesel engine for the extra torquey TD goodness

I didnt realise they did a samurai with the pug diesel engine, so is it literally a case of the pug engine just bolting to the samurai box without an adaptor plate etc?

Does anyone know of a guide with the wiring? what clutch to use etc?
Sharpy1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do need adapting, rhinorays does a kit for the pug but i think it something stupid like £1800 prob with the engine and gearbox supplied maybe.

Just checked thats supplied & fitted with a converted sammi box new clutch and timing belt, £400 off if you supply engine bargain Confused

wonder how much just for the converted box
94 Discovery 200Tdi S Auto (gone)
96 Discovery V8i ES Auto Lpg(Gone)
FreddieS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I saw that conversion, seems very steep, £1800 for a 1.9 diesel (no turbo Neutral) thats only advantage over the 1.3 is more torque...

I had a 205 1.9 and it cost me £72, it drove spot on, but they really do need to be TD because it just lacked go! in an SJ it'd run out of revs very quickly.
WillyO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing research on Suzuki Vitaras with diesel engines (would like to swap a diesel into my Vitara). This post is by NO MEANS complete. I'm mearly posting it in the hope that it will help you. Please don't flame if something is incorrect, just post the corrected information.

1995-98
Suzuki used the Mazda RF 2.0 litre turbo-diesel engine in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market). In fact, Suzuki and Mazda made the Suzuki Escudo Nomade 3dr (KD-TA31W) & 5dr (KD-TD31W) and the Mazda Precede Levante 3dr (KD-TF31W) & 5dr (KD-TJ31W), simular as Suzuki/GM (CAMI) did with the Sidekick/Tracker in North America.

1998-01
Suzuki used the Renault 1.9 litre turbo-diesel engine.

2001-on
Suzuki used the Peugeot 2.0 litre HDI engines. The 2.0 litre DW10 was the first PSA Diesel engine to feature common rail direct injection, and was given the commercial designation HDI. It has a bore of 85 mm (3.3 in) and a stroke of 88 mm (3.5 in) for a total displacement of 1997 cc. It was initially available in 90 PS (66 kW) form, with two valves per cylinder and a non-intercooled turbo. An intercooler was added later in the year, boosting power to 107 PS (79 kW).

The two easiest to bolt into the Vitara are the Mazda and Renault engines, since both were used in gen1 Vitaras. In 1999 Suzuki changed the body/chassis on the Vitara, so while the transmission would match, you'd probably have to make custom mounts to get the Peugeot engine to fit an earler chassis.

I have no info for the Samurai since it was outside my scope of search.
citroensuspension

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about an ldv pilot engine and gearbox, if i get these what else needs done
paulward1881

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:46    Post subject: Re: Putting a Diesel engine in Samurai Reply with quote

try it with a diesel

Buy Coffee Tables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Engine Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: