All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Transfer case shot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Gearbox / Transmission Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothbrush

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29    Post subject: Transfer case shot? Reply with quote

Hi all, a while ago I posted about my newly acquired SJ410; well anyway, this weekend I was looking at fixing some things, among others the transfer case. My theory is that the transfer case is worn very badly as the car shudders/resonates badly at about 40-50kmh (goes away after) in both 2nd and 3rd. This makes me think it's Ujoint or transfer case, right? Anyway, say I want to replace the transfer case, how do I know the one I'm buying (I only know to find 2nd hand ones) isn't just as worn out as my original? Also, what's the likelihood of this problem being caused by worn Ujoint or badly balanced propshaft? Thanks for input!

PS: is it worth trying to get my current transfer case reconditioned?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

shudder could be tyre balancing too if only at 40-50 but ok after?
toothbrush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but don't reckon so as it's really, and I mean really, heavy. The cab resonates and the whole lot makes a major noise. Could that still be tyre balancing?
RSi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about unbalanced props????
toothbrush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSi wrote:

Unfortunately I don't know where the emphasis is in that sentence, so.... In my original post I mentioned it maybe as a result of unbalanced/badly balanced propshafts. Now I'm not an expert, so I'm not even sure if that's possible, but I thought I read somewhere that this could happen. So if you mean it as a suggestion, then yes, I've thought of it, but otherwise, that's my thinking behind it.
RSi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

toothbrush wrote:
RSi wrote:

So if you mean it as a suggestion, then yes, I've thought of it, but otherwise, that's my thinking behind it.

I had this problem on my LR and it tooks me ages before I suzzed it, the prop had become unbalanced some how and it sent a bad shutter through it at 55mph and over.  With the LR I was able to take it off and still drive it to test, not that familiar with Suki's yet to know if this can be done.
toothbrush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonably easy on the SJ to take off a prop indeed; maybe I could just try that too - easy cheap test!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Gearbox / Transmission Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: