4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

uj joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Gearbox / Transmission Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owen5011

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:42    Post subject: uj joints Reply with quote

hi , i made the awfull choice to put a 2" shckle lift on my sj410 and had it like that for about a week and had to get rid of the terrible shackles so have now put the original ones back on and fitted a new leaf to each of my spring packs , rides great and seems to be problem free untill today when i took it for a run down a green lane and  put it in 4wd . there are no unusual noises in 2wd but when in 4wd i get this really weird noise at between 15-30mph , this noise does not go away if the clutch is depressed or not and is only in 4wd , im thinking may be a uj joint on the front drive shaft . i am thinking that the front drive shaft only turns if 4wd is selected on the transfer box but does not turn in 2wd , could anyone tell me if this is correct as i am new to sj servicing and learning as i go , many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that's not right unless you've got free wheeling hubs on the front. Even though there's no power transfered to the front wheels when you're in 2WD, the front wheels turning will cause the half-shafts, diff and therefore the front prop to turn. If you had free wheeling hubs you could disconnect the front wheels from the half-shafts and therefore they could stay still, along with the diff and front prop...

Having said that it could still be a UJ that's making your noise, might only be doing it under load (there's no real load on it when it's in 2WD) but I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't go away when you're freewheeling or have the clutch depressed. Whip the prop off (only 8 bolts) and try the UJs in your hand, they should turn freely to the extent of their travel with no sticking or sideways movement in the holes, you'll know exactly what I mean when you try it Wink If they feel OK take the truck for a drive without the prop on, stick it in 4WD and this'll tell you if the noise is coming from the transfer box. A further test would be to put the front prop back on and take the back one off then go for a drive in 4WD again, now you effectively only have front wheel drive which should help you to pinpoint your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Gearbox / Transmission Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: