All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Whats involved in lifting a Vitara!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockabillygoaty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 23:45    Post subject: Whats involved in lifting a Vitara! Reply with quote

Hi gang!
Ive got a K reg Vitara, and want to take it off the beaten track when I go shooting!
How do I go about lifting the suspention to take chunkier tyres, and is it worth the hastle of a body lift at all.
Oh and nowI have your attention! How hard is it to fit a whinch to the front of my Vitara for when I try and do something out in the wilds that I shouldnt and get into trouble!
lol.
All help appreciated!
Ta.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 23:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifts aren't a problem, the cheapest option on a vitara is probably spring spacers, but if your budget allows go for lifting springs etc, much better. Body lifts are straight forward too and you have the added advantage of not having to mess with the mechanicals.

How big are you thinking of going with the tyres? You might find it's take a good size increase without needing any mods, and if you go too big it'll ruin the gearing so be careful..... What's the terrain like where you go shooting? I assume it's private land and you aren't driving where you aren't supposed to be driving Confused  Embarassed .

Winch, again not too difficult. Just need to make or buy something solid to fix it to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Ta! Reply with quote

Ok Butt!
Ime not realy going to be up to my waist in mud I must admit, as the terrain is more bolders covered in grass and not that boggy.
Itsjust that my mate has a Range rover and I dont want to be left behinde, or even worst have him to pull me out of illy little ruts, lol.
Should have gone for a Sammy I spos.
Nothing gets in there way does it. Very Happy
I picked up a Toyota Hilux Surf the other day befare this Vit! But was told to leave it home as its no good at all off road so thats why I waighed in for this Vit!
I dont want to lift this Vit too much, just enough to get a good set of tread under the arches, so you recommend trying the spring spacers then to start! Is the body lift on a Vit the same idea as on a SJ, the thick donut type washers that fit between body and chassis?
If so dont you have to dosomething to gear sticks and stearing column to compensate for extra leangth?
See my ignorance showing through now!
Lol.
 Confused
me and the wife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i done a body lift on our vitara and i did have to extend the gear levers but that was it. i used 3" box section cut into 3" squares. then i bought a 1.5"spring lift kit ( grand vitara springs give the 1.5" lift). this allowed us to fit 31" tyres
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/meandthewife_/suzuki%204x4/brickkilnfarm30july06004.jpg
Rockabillygoaty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Re: Box section Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
Sounds like I wouldnt have to go out and break the bank to get the effect I need to go where I want to.
( If you can make sence of that! lol.) Confused
Isit an extention that you put on to the gear levers or what?
God my to do list is getting bigger!
lol.
What is the width of those wheels you have on yours in the pic? ( nic vit as well)
That stance will do me great, so it looks like i will be copy catting, lol.
Thanks again,
Ken
me and the wife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cut the lever and extended it 3" using the threadded part from a bolt that was the same diametor welded it all together.... job done. you will have to lift the bumpers too but they are easy to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: