All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine loses power every 10-15 miles???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okcid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 14:56    Post subject: engine loses power every 10-15 miles??? Reply with quote

Hi there i have a SJ410 with a strange fault!
It starts and drives pretty much perfect but after around 10 miles it hesitates, then loses power gradually until it completly dies!
i have to sit tight for about 3-4 mins and it will start and carry on as if nothing has happened for about another 10 miles.
I took it out for a very hard time last night, snow, river crossings (Has snorkle) very challenging terain and it does the same thing driving in these conditions as on a flat road!
Does anyone have any idea of what this could be, any answers would be really appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 14:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Minker Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to a Suzuki, But it
Very much sounds like your fuel pump Crying or Very sad
gets warm and expands and fails to deliver, and then works again after a cooling period,
but then continues to fail about every 1 mile.
I would go straight for the fuel pump.

If i am wrong i'm sure we have some Suzi experts on here to put you right thumbup
I have only ever been wrong ONCE.... and that was when i thought i had got it wrong  Laughing
okcid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply,

I will now look into this. I have tried taking the snorkel off, which previous owner had made from an industrial hoover pipe (not ideal I know) off the SJ and it does seem to rev more freely now.

I have also been advised it could be to do with the fuel line creating some form of vacuum in the fuel lines therefore not allowing the fuel to flow correctly, could this be a contributing factor?

Also I will say I'm not a mechanic by any means but another theory was that there was a possible problem with ignition somewhere throughout the line or that there was could be alot of sediment in the tank that has been passing through.

I have fully serviced it but still it has this persistent fault!

Like i say any help is much appreciated guys as i am pretty new to all this!
Minker Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errm, Thats a point they have got a vacuum venting system on the tank (the early ones certainly did)
every so often you would hear it "buzz" to let air into the tank to prevent a vacuum build up, some sort of
sealed fuel system.
It could be that gadget gone tits up. I did have a manual on the SJ but i have just sold it on Ebay, posted it
yesterday.
Fuel pumps are not cheap so it might be advisable to see if there are any experts on this site who can give you a
more definate answer thumbup
Minker Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found your problem yet? another thing you could give a go would be to give it a run with out the fuel cap,
(but not with a full tank) Laughing
okcid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,

i have now changed the fuel filter and the breather pipes and it has happened the first time i drove it once but now (touch wood) it seems to have cured the problem.
Thanks for all your replies its really helped, there's life in the little SJ yet!
muddytubbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is a reply to a old thread but it might come in useful later , i had this very same problem on the wifes 410 looked at everything fuel pipes carb the lot in the end it was the ballast resister breaking down just replaced it and bingo all was cured . Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: