4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

pick up - hard top?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Bodywork & trim
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 22:59    Post subject: pick up - hard top? Reply with quote

We have just bought a great 1992 pick up, blue lagoon.  Was a hard top made for this model?  If so how do we find one! The car is in Portugal!

Thanks. G
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a proper Long wheel base Samurai pick up like this?

I have seen several long wheel base Sammys with removable hard tops but they are pretty rare I think. There was a LWB hard top on ebay last summer when I was looking for one for my SWB Sammy, so that's probably a good place to start.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - It is a short wheel base. nothing on ebay.

Thanks
gillco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at your pics, of the small pick up it is the same special edition blue lagoon 1992.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh a soft top SWB same as mine.... Yeah there are hard tops available for them, a few different types too. Here's a picture of my truck wearing it's hard top that I managed to aquire last year on the cheap.

It's had a hard life so needed quite a bit of work to get it up to scratch and fitting properly, but it's sooooooo much nicer than the soft top in the winter. This is the "one piece", it's obviously not supplied as one piece but the whole thing needs to be fitted together. You can get two piece ones which have a bit that covers the cab and a separate bit that covers the back. They do pop up on eblag so my advice would be to keep an eye out, expect to pay £150 for one in good condition though. I'm not sure if anyone still makes them but I'm sure if they did they'd want at least 2 major limbs anyway Rolling Eyes

Just found this German site.... 1295 Euros for a new one! Shocked I like the Rallye top though, very nice! Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, great information.  Is eblag - ebay, sorry but I am a bit new to this.  Looking forward to tracking one down.  
Is it easy to fit? Is it secure?  

If you come across one let me know.  By the way the pics are great.  We haven't even driven ours yet!  We will be leaving ours in Portugal. Do you think we will have any problems starting it after 2 months absence.  It is old with a young engine only 32000 km! genuine mileage.

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks
DaiRees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah eblag is ebay, sorry 'bout that! Embarassed  Laughing

As long as the battery's in good shape she'll fire up fine after a couple of months, mine often gets left 6-8 weeks between trips, and that's usually stored in a cold, damp garage, and more often than not it's caked in mud when it's put away. You know what it's like, you arrive home late after a long day out and think "Sod it, I'll wash it tomorrow", but you never do, do you? Rolling Eyes

The top is pretty straightforward to fit, I took my time to ensure that it's nice and solid, with all the knocking about and dragging through overgrown lanes it gets I really wanted to be sure it's up to the task. Took a couple of hours to fit the first time but that's just because I was being careful, plus I needed to make some repairs and a couple of modifications to the roof and the car to make it fit snug and secure (told you it was in bad shape Laughing ). I'm sure I could turn it back into a soft top in about 10 mins, and put the hard top on again in about 20 mins now that I know what I'm doing.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you. If you bought one here how would you get it to Portugal? What top is on your truck at the moment then?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmh, I guess we'll drive it over.  Currently it is under a car port.  It has a new soft top, it is still in the box.  

it was a real impulse buy.  Once we saw it... we bought it...

It has never seen mud!

There are lots of suzukis in Portugal, and clubs for the mountains... I am not sure this will be for me. But who knows!

Thanks for all the info.  I have registered my search on eblog, and will check with a few of the 4x4 car breakers.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the hard top up in my estate car, the main bit strapped to the roof rails and the rest of the bits in the back. Luckily it was only 15 miles from home, 'twas fine for a short trip but I don't think I'd like to drive to Portugal with it like that Confused

I'm not convinced that you really need a hard top. My soft top never leaked (the hard top lets in more water than the soft top did), and the truck has quite a good heater so it wasn't really cold in there either. It is less noisy in the truck now, and I think it's cured the occasional scuttle shake that I used to get, but the main reason I got the hard top was security. When I go green laning I take quite a lot of tools, spares, recovery equipment etc., I was unwilling to leave the truck even to nip into a cafe for some lunch, the whole lot could be knicked just by undoing a zip. I know the locks aren't exactly strong but I've made a temporary cover for the load area with a tarp (I intend to make a "parcel shelf" to hide the contents) and lock it up so at least I feel a bit better about it now.

So if you're getting it just to keep the rain out, my advice would be don't bother, a properly fitting soft top will be fine. Plus the softy will be a lot easier to take off when you want to go and enjoy open top motoring in the Portugese sunshine (although if you're going to do that my advice would be to get a bikini top sold here or you'll burn to a crisp  Embarassed - yup been there, done that, got the bikini! Laughing )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative may be "segundamano" a Spanish 2nd hand website.  You need to look for a "capota".

Good luck
gillco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi - a hard top for the rear only is on ebay.  It looks like an original part...  

The downside is he is not selling the bikini hard top and he has lost the key.

The good side the price so far is 50 quid with no bidders.  Can you view it, we would value your opinion.

Thanks Smile

PS the spanish site is a good idea.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one.

Looks good to me. I wish I had one like that, I'd get a set of add-a-leafs as well then. My truck already touches my garage door if I try to drive it in empty, so I can't go any higher at the moment. Anyway, I digress......

Yeah the top looks good, the front bit not coming with it is a bit of a pain, but as he suggests you could rig something up from an old soft top, or I think there was a guy making new fibreglass front sections on difflock a year or 2 back. Do a search over there, you might find something about it. The other thing to consider is getting hold of an old soft top (I might have one, it's a bit rough but the front bit might be OK) then giving him the extra £60 for the front bit as well. Like I said complete tops are fetching about £150 so you'd still be within that Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.  all sound advice Smile
DaiRees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the auction's finished.... only 1 bid, was it you gillco?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

no chickened out. Wanted to get the complete set/top

Still looking.

gillco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Bodywork & trim All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: