Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

shackles or leaf over conversion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romperstomper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:56    Post subject: shackles or leaf over conversion? Reply with quote

hi as im new to the suzuki scene i am just wondering about the set up on my sj410, it has a 2" shackle lift on it at the moment but a friend suggested using the standard shackles and go for the leafspring over axle setup. what is the better setup ?  Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 22:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like extended shackles, so if those are your only choices go for the spring over axle (SPOA). The question is how much lift are you hoping to achieve and how big is your budget?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2" lift it has is fine for me i dont want to go mad with money, so prob only looking at spending couple of hundred on the sj, but i said that about my other car and ended up spending well over 15k lol  Shocked
chappers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 21:58    Post subject: whats required Reply with quote

What is needed to do the spring over axle converstion?
romperstomper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be wrong here but the way i was explained it was the area where the axle sits on the leaf spring the bracket has to be modified/rewelded, a longer steering arm added amd brakelines extended..... but as im new to SJ`s i may be totally wrong  Question
Richie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of help
http://www.suzuki4x4club.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7403&highlight=spoa

Just plan how you intend to modify your steering as non factory steering components any thing that has had heat applied I.E. bent or welded is an MOT failure.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy with the 2" forget SPOA.

A budget way to achieve a 2" spring lift is to get the rear springs off a Bedford Rascal van, these fit straight on the back of your zook. Then you take your original spring packs and split them, use the top leaf from the front spring with as many as you fancy from the rear spring. Then put that spring on the front.

I didn't do that either because I noticed that when my mates did it the springs were quite firm and didn't flex very well, but they've loosened up now and have great flex.

I opted for a 2" body lift, this gives you extra clearance under the wheel arches and allows much greater flex (remove the front anti-roll bar), also keeps the centre of gravity down so the truck is less tippy than my mates trucks. The downside being that it doesn't increase your ground clearance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been offered a set of 31.10.15 (think this is size was told) grizzly claws on 7x15 wheels will these fit on standard sj410 axles as they came off a sammy
Richie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know they will not go straight on  Sad . Minimum I would guess you would need is a set of wheel spacers especially if their fitted on 7x15s (not much offset) and at least a 2" lift of some kind (this is an interesting alternative to a Rascal leaf lift http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=17346 (lift will depend on how knackerd your leafs are)). The front bumper will probably need to come off with the mounts to clear the steering and the arches may not quite cover the tread so may need extending. Also remember your gearing will be out so bit more top end but less acceleration off the line or off road and speedo will be wrong through cameras  Wink

On the plus side it will look mean as  Twisted Evil
suzota

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a set of rascal springs on the rear and re build the front springs using leaves from you old rear ones.
or failing that spend £65 on a set of add-a-leafs from llama4x4 they will give about 2" of lift.
romperstomper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

think i probably will go for the llama add on spring as my leaf springs look a little worn, also gives me an excuse to fix the spring shock mount as last owner had crossthreaded nut at bottom of shock and is only held on by about 2 threads. Oh well i just bought myself a swb pajero to keep me amused till sj is on the road and then will be used to tow sj about  blah5
SRN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much help this might be, seeing as I'm 'over the pond' and all. The set up I'm running goes like this:
I have Missing Link Shackles on all four corners, rear SJ413 springs moved to the front (overload spring removed) and modified Jeep CJ-7 front spring packs in the rear. To do this there are a couple of steps. First is the rear to front swap, this is achieved by using a kit like the one from Rocky-Road Outfitters (ships internationally). Next up is the CJ-7 springs. I used the Trail Tough kit so my rear diff wasn't hitting the gas tank. Then you have to strip down the CJ springs to just the two longest leaves and add the stock SJ overload spring to the pack. To round it all out I have lengthened break lines (you can use them from Toyotas, like the HiLux) and new shock mounts so my articulation isn't adversely limited.
I'm not sure how readily available CJ-7 parts are in the UK, but you can just run the rear to front setup and its a noticeable difference in off-road performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: