All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

HELP! URGENT! Lost propshaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Casareño inglés

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:57    Post subject: HELP! URGENT! Lost propshaft Reply with quote

Last night I managed to drop the rear propshaft  Shocked on the main road and had to get a recovery truck home.  Evil or Very Mad

I've managed to remove the remains of the old couplings and now need a replacement.

My question is whether I can use any Suzuki rear propshaft, or whether it is specific to the Samurai?  Any special points to note on refitting?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Re: HELP! URGENT! Lost propshaft Reply with quote

El Casareño inglés wrote:
Last night I managed to drop the rear propshaft  Shocked on the main road and had to get a recovery truck home.  Evil or Very Mad

Dude it's a 4X4 with no centre differential. If you'd stuck it in 4WD (and locked the free wheeling hubs if you have them Confused ) you would have been able to drive it home, front wheel drive only of course.

I once drove mine 40 miles with the rear diff partially disassembled (input shaft removed due to knackered input shaft bearing) with a rubber glove over the nose to keep the oil in and the dirt out, and the rear prop in the boot. Laughing

Anyway, my guess is you'd need to find a sammy prop. I'm not certain but I think some of the models had different flanges (the holes wouldn't line up with the flanges on your diff and transfer box) and I'm told some of the rear props were a different length due to some vehicles having a handbrake drum on the t-case.

Is it just that the Universal joints have disintegrated, if so you can get these brand new for about £10 each and fitting them is a doddle, so you could reassemble the original prop. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know it's a 4x4.  That enabled me to get off the main road.  However, the stub of the rear propshaft was still attached and that produced god-awful noise and vibration as it rotated.

I've now managed to get the remains off:  The rear UJ disintegrated and looked more like a fishhook than a bearing  Shocked

I've found a couple of Sammy's at local breakers which raises another question.  Will the rear from an SJ410 fit the Samurai?  My daughters measured the gap at 33cm (which involved a long and complicated mobile phone call since they are aged 8 and 10 and had to crawl under the Sammy whilst I'm at work).
DaiRees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Casareño inglés wrote:
Will the rear from an SJ410 fit the Samurai?

I very much doubt it. Did they do long wheel base SJ410s?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old but this is what happened to me when I was on my way home after buying a Samurai.  I am currently waiting delivery of a replacement propshaft and UJs.  The problem is when I engage 4WD, the vehicle doesn't move and instead the rear flange (i think that's what it is) coming out of the transfer box just spins, I'm pretty sure the front hubs are locked properly.  What else could it be?  

Cheers.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried both 4 High and 4 low ratios just to verify? Is the dash light coming on to show it's in 4WD? There's no diff in the transfer box on an SJ, if it's in 4wd then the front and rear flanges should both spin at the same speed, in 2wd only the rear flange should spin (sorry I know that's stating the obvious Embarassed ). Sorry mate but you seem to have a knackered transfer box there (maybe problem with selectors?)... Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: