All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

FRONT RIGHT BALL JOINT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVE T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 22:47    Post subject: FRONT RIGHT BALL JOINT Reply with quote

Just bought a Jimny and found that the front right ball joint behind the disc is leaking fluid. Is it a hard job to sort and what would it cost?

I can see a rubber seal around it, could it be this seal that’s split?

Thanks for any help.

Dave.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 22:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DAVE T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help, what a bunch of unhelpfull son of a preacherman.......................
Benner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's still pretty quiet at the moment and as far as I know not many (or any?) Jimny owners are on here.
redneck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE T wrote:
thanks for all your help, what a bunch of unhelpfull son of a preacherman.......................

There's no need to be like that  Shocked  Give the forum chance, there's not that many on here at the moment  Wink

From what you say, it's your CV (constant velocity) joint boot that's split, not too hard to change, but it involves stripping down the driveshaft to be able to pull the boot off and change it.
There is however a quick fix alternative which you can fit without taking the driveshaft off, the kit comes with a new boot which has a joint down one side so it can be slipped over the driveshaft and put into position, and using the super glue provided you very carefully glue the joint up, easy as that.
I've only used this type once before (when I didn't have much time) as i usually prefer to replace with a proper boot but the one time i did use this method it seemed to work fine,  some motor factors stock it as a universal CV boot split kit, if you explain it's the one with the joint down one side they should know what you mean.  Wink

Like this one
http://fordprobestore.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=644
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE T wrote:

Shocked

We've only been going a short while, 30 members so far and I bet they're mostly SJs and Vitara owners. If fact I'd be surprised if there's even one other Jimny on here yet.

If people don't know the answer they can't tell you, no need to be a prat about it! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
DAVE T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 0:08    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

been a prat about what , no reply, untill i gave you a bit of stick, sorry didnt know you have just started it up  rgds dave.
redneck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 17:22    Post subject: Re: ha Reply with quote

DAVE T wrote:
been a prat about what , no reply, untill i gave you a bit of stick, sorry didnt know you have just started it up  rgds dave.

Trust me, it wasn't being given a bit of "stick" as you put it that prompted a response, far from it. People are on here to help and be helped with problems or advice and share a common interest, the thing to remember with a forum like this is that the members are not on here for monetary gain,  simply like minded people with an interest in cars, in this case 4x4 Suzukis.

If someone can help, i'm sure they will but please remember that you shouldn't expect an answer all help given is free of charge and given as a favour  Wink
Benner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said that man!!  Cool
mlines

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth on this old (and angry!) thread....this problem is usually worn kingpins or a worn axle oil seal (not the big outside one but the small inside one)
Jimnys don't have external CVs with gaiters - the CV is inside the hub.

Martin
cadfael9798

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all, the Mrs has just bought a 03 plate Jimmy, and we're getting the occasional rumble from the front o/s wheel area Shocked
Sounds to me a bit like the CV joint is on it's way out!
So, is it DIYable, and where can I get the bits?
If not, what's it likely to cost me at the local 4x4 garage?
Regards,
Mike.
gigi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 21:59    Post subject: new suz driver Reply with quote

Just bought a 1995 suz for 1500cdn.  The mechanic told me that my front wheels need to be in the lock position but I noticed when I was on the highway it was really shaky.  My brother came by today big jeep lover, told me the wheels need to be in the FREE position.  Anyone know ? Rolling Eyes
cadfael9798

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they should be in the free position Gigi, so that you drive as per rear wheel drive only, on-road.
Off-road, or when conditions are a bit slippery, then you should use "locked" or 4wd, remembering to return to 2wd as conditions improve.
In case of an emergency, read the handbook!! Wink  Very Happy  Very Happy
Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: