2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SPOA help

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 17:00    Post subject: SPOA help Reply with quote

Might as well be first.

Just got me some SPOA perches, etc. Quite handy with a welder so going to have a go at doing it myself.
Is ther anything I should know first before I go ahead and mess it all up?
Like, the exact position of the perches on the axle. Do they just go on directly oposite the originals? Is it that easy.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Lee
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 17:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ozzy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should have added it's an SJ410 with standard springs, etc at the mo
Richie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory yes its as easy as lining the up opposite the old ones and welding them on.  Very Happy

However  Rolling Eyes  Not sure what your perches look like and how far they wrap round the axle but you should also make sure that they are parallel with the old perches especially on the front axle. If the front is out the steering geometry will be wrong.

Beside that if using the standard running gear you will need 25mm prop spacers x2, extended flexi brake hoses, either adapt your shock mounts or flip the u bolt plates side for side (but the font will need redrilling) and Steering will need sorting either z link or half high steer conversion.

This may help a bit http://71.freebb.com/sandrcars/sandrcars-article66.html

Richie
Ozzy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Richie,

Got all the bits to do the job, prop spacers, etc. The only thing I hadn't thought about was the front shock mountings, good point.
The only thing that worries me is the angle of the prop on the diffs, I assume the UJ's will be able to accommodate the extra angle, if you see what I mean.
Biggest job I've got to do first is clean the damn thing, it's about 1-2" thick of mud & clay at the moment. The kids love using the pressure washer anyway, think I'll give them a couple of quid each and let them loose on it.
Thanks,
Lee
Richie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think the angles of the prop are a problem although the rear axle you could get away with tilting slightly to improve the angle of the prop if you wanted  but not the front. especially forward

Wink
Ozzy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking, obviously not with the front though. Think I'll have a little play around with it first, see how it looks.

The only problem I have now though is, my garage has an up and over door, might be a bit of a squeeze fitting it in when done. Better do the job on the drive incase I can't get it under the door. Rolling Eyes
DaiRees

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
The only problem I have now though is, my garage has an up and over door, might be a bit of a squeeze fitting it in when done. Better do the job on the drive incase I can't get it under the door. Rolling Eyes

That's exactly the same problem I've got. Should be OK with the 2" lift I'm planning but it certainly wouldn't fit with SPOA. Give it an 8" lift then chop the roof like a rat rod..... 8)  Twisted Evil  Very Happy
DaiRees

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, if it doesn't fit under the door you could always deflate the tyres a bit just to get it out of the garage. That's what I used to do with my old landy, was a PITA but solved a problem Confused
Ozzy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
In theory yes its as easy as lining the up opposite the old ones and welding them on.  Very Happy

However  Rolling Eyes  Not sure what your perches look like and how far they wrap round the axle but you should also make sure that they are parallel with the old perches especially on the front axle. If the front is out the steering geometry will be wrong.

Beside that if using the standard running gear you will need 25mm prop spacers x2, extended flexi brake hoses, either adapt your shock mounts or flip the u bolt plates side for side (but the font will need redrilling) and Steering will need sorting either z link or half high steer conversion.

This may help a bit
Richie

Thanks for that Richie.

I've got some extended shocks but thinking about it, when I swap the u bolt plates side for side won't this actually move the shock mount just a tad closer to the top mounting as I will be putting it on the other side of the spring from where it is now? Guess I'll have to relocate the upper shock mounts on the front? Also, I know I need to drop the bump stops down a bit, but how much?
The perches that I have, once welded in place will only sit about 15 - 20mm above the axle. I should get about 6" lift all together me thinks.
This is gonna be fun to do isn't it Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Lee
Ozzy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaiRees wrote:
Forgot to say, if it doesn't fit under the door you could always deflate the tyres a bit just to get it out of the garage. That's what I used to do with my old landy, was a PITA but solved a problem Confused

I've measured it and it should fit under but only by a fraction of an inch,in theory anyway. Soon find out. The door is carp anyway so might well end up cutting it down the middle and sticking some hinges either side.
redneck

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Cheers Richie,

Got all the bits to do the job, prop spacers, etc. Lee

Hi Lee,
Where did you get the spacers etc from  Question
Ozzy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

redneck wrote:
Ozzy wrote:
Cheers Richie,

Got all the bits to do the job, prop spacers, etc. Lee

Hi Lee,
Where did you get the spacers etc from  Question

Hi Redneck,

Got the prop spacers & brake hoses from SJUK on that austion site, about £95 incl delivery. Perch blocks £35.00 from same site, different seller, (nofearzukes).
The shocks were donated from a mate and I made the mounting bracket for the rears myself, quite easy really, bit of square section tube. Also made the Z bar, still needs some work I think but need to fit it all up first to check it out. I've seen some on ebay for about £90 - £100, thought I'd have a go at making one first. I will take some piccys when I get round to doing it and post them up.

ATB
Lee
wabbit slayer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could have saved you a few quid there a mate on difflock does the spacers for about 25.00 each,and you can get extended braided hoses from llama 4x4, any lenth for about 11.00 each . Laughing
Ozzy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit slayer wrote:
i could have saved you a few quid there a mate on difflock does the spacers for about 25.00 each,and you can get extended braided hoses from llama 4x4, any lenth for about 11.00 each . Laughing

I'll have a look, might do my Sammy at a later date but they work out to £83.00 anyway + delivery, unless those prices are delievered.
Cheers
Lee
redneck

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit slayer wrote:

That's worth knowing  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: