4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

DaiRees' Samurai

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 0:30    Post subject: DaiRees' Samurai Reply with quote

Well here's my toy,

She's a 1992 Samurai Sport, was already fitted with a Weber carb conversion when I bought it 2 years ago, and since then I've fitted AT's Smile,  then MT's Razz, a CB, spots, and welded in about a 2 square metres of steel to repair all the rot, but other than that she's totally standard (for the time being Rolling Eyes ). Awesome machines, frequently embarreses solihul products and various other machines.

Potential mods. 2-3" spring lift, rear locker, maybe a lower ratio transfer box, still keep it looking totally standard Confused  8)

Hmmmm, I'm not allowed to post my images, guess you'll have to wait folks! Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 0:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Richie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures - problems with your webber conversion  Question   Do you know which model Weber you have and wether it was rejetted  Question

Richie
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richie,

Yeah the Weber can be a bit pants off road, she doesn't like climbing very steep hills at lowish revs, dies out (you have to use the "point and squirt method"  Razz ), and it tends to cut out if your G forces hit zero or less Shocked  Laughing . In fact it cut out on landing in the pic that's my avatar (also broke a t-box mount Crying or Very sad ). There is a mod to cure this which involves welding up one area in the carb and drilling a hole somehere else, but I havent grown balls big enough to try this yet.

On the road it's awesome! 8)

Was looking for the model number the other day but couldn't find it. The weber was already fitted when I got the car, I hadn't even realised Embarassed . Was checking through the docs that the seller gave me and found a receipt for £392, went and checked, woohoo Razz , the seller hadn't even mentioned it. I only paid £800 for the car with brand new T&T, 4 brand new sports tyres on alloys (which are for sale by the way - check ebay member ID MTR2001, Alloys with sports tyres, Steel 8 spokes with ATs, and a tow bar 8) ) and a £400 carb, so I reckon the rest of the zook must have cost me about £50 Laughing  8) .

Yes I will post pics, but new members aren't allowed to for 7 days, so see you here this time next week Wink !
redneck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 13:23    Post subject: Re: DaiRees' Samurai Reply with quote

DaiRees wrote:
Well here's my toy,

Awesome machines, frequently embarreses solihul products and various other machines.

Hmmmm, I'm not allowed to post my images, guess you'll have to wait folks! Laughing

Totally agree about embarassing L/R's. I trial my Zuke which is mechanically standard and it easilly beats standard 90's etc, the only time it comes second best to L/R's is in a cross axle situation where a 90 on coils has more articulation than my Zuke on leaf springs  Sad  or if the L/R has lockers (but they're then in a different class to the zuke anyway  Laughing )
Apparently an SPOA (spring perch over axle) conversion, gives the suspension more articulation as well as more lift so that's in the plans for the future.

From your avatar it looks like you have a nice Zuke there  8)  look forward to the bigger pictures  Wink
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 14:26    Post subject: Re: DaiRees' Samurai Reply with quote

redneck wrote:

Apparently an SPOA (spring perch over axle) conversion, gives the suspension more articulation as well as more lift so that's in the plans for the future.

True, but you'll kill the springs if you try to do it with standard ones. You'll need uprated springs and a tramp bar to go SPOA. I don't fancy it meself.
Richie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why will it kill the springs ? Same weight ect. I know your supposed to drop the bump stops to stop them flexing to far the wrong way and the anti tramp bar. But as long as you cover these things should be OK should'nt it  Question

Time will tell if I ever finish it  Twisted Evil

Anyway springs are replacable  Wink and had to go spoa to clear sump  Embarassed
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something to do with the way the forces act on the springs, they wrap and end up looking like an "S" Shocked
redneck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaiRees wrote:
It's something to do with the way the forces act on the springs, they wrap and end up looking like an "S" Shocked

Now you mention it, I can see it having that effect  Confused

I must admit I am in two minds about the SPOA because the more parts I can keep standard on my zuke the easier it is for fixing it when it breaks.
I do give it some grief  Twisted Evil

Will have to weigh up the pros and cons  Confused
Richie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be me being thick  Laughing but I cant see the axle being above or below the spring creating any different forces as long as the pearch is no higher than the original  Question

Plenty of vehicles are made this this way anyway.

Only one way to find out, as I said had no choice as sump was too low. And it is a project vehicle so experimenting is what its all about  Wink

How about the rascal spring lift for yours Redneck ? We used this method on the Rascal pickup to level it out. It is supposed to give 2" on a std jeep. Plus If you were unfortunate enough to break a spring you can just split the replacement pack and reinsert the rascal spring.
redneck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
Must be me being thick  Laughing but I cant see the axle being above or below the spring creating any different forces as long as the pearch is no higher than the original  Question

Plenty of vehicles are made this this way anyway.

Only one way to find out, as I said had no choice as sump was too low. And it is a project vehicle so experimenting is what its all about  Wink

How about the rascal spring lift for yours Redneck ? We used this method on the Rascal pickup to level it out. It is supposed to give 2" on a std jeep. Plus If you were unfortunate enough to break a spring you can just split the replacement pack and reinsert the rascal spring.

It's not particularly lift i'm after, a little bit maybe (too much can be a real disadvantage on some of the side slopes on a trial Shocked ) it's more articulation that i want. I thought an SPOA might be the best way of achieving this but i'm not sure  Confused
Any ideas  Question
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

redneck wrote:
it's more articulation that i want. I thought an SPOA might be the best way of achieving this but i'm not sure  Confused
Any ideas  Question

How about D-Flex type shackles?, allows the axle to drop. That's what I'm doing for. +2" extending shckles on the reas with standard springs, then get another set of rear springs up front 'cos they have more curve than the front ones. You have to split the spring packs and use the top leaf of the front spring, then pretty much mix and match the rest... Confused
redneck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read reports of D-flex type shackles digging in to the ground when extreme off roading, as it is the standard shackles dig in with some of the stuff I do. I've got 2" extension shackles that i haven't fitted for that reason too.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's right. I'm only going to put the d-flex on the back for now. Then it shouldn't be a problem (unless you reverse a lot Laughing ).

I wouldn't use extended shackes on the front anyway, ruins what little handling zooks have Embarassed

I'd really like to go for a "proper" 3" spring lift kit, but I ain't got that kinda money to spend. Crying or Very sad Budget lifts 'r' us Rolling Eyes  Laughing
redneck

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

"D flexes" on the back only, now that's an idea  Idea
DaiRees

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right a week has passed, so here's my baby Very Happy

More in the garage..... 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: